The Minnesota Wheat Research and Promotion Council (MWRPC) was awarded an Agricultural Growth, Research, & Innovation (AGRI) Crop Research Grant from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) to fund a two-year study that has the potential for meaningful long-term advances for an important Minnesota commodity. The AGRI Crop Research Grant was awarded through a competitive application process to provide funds for applied crop research that will improve agricultural product quality, quantity, or value.
The study, titled Wheat Variety and Sourdough Product Analysis for Anti-Nutrient Levels Related to Digestibility, will be done in cooperation with the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI), the University of Minnesota’s College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) and its Regional Sustainable Development Partnership, and Back When Foods, Inc.
The research project will pursue three objectives:
1) Characterizing and identifying variants of genetic markers for FODMAPs and ATI activity in ancient, heritage and modern wheat varieties, which will generate new and critical information about the levels of FODMAPs and ATI activity in these varieties.
2) Exploration of fermentation as a technique to reduce FODMAPs and ATI quantities in finished products, including bread.
3) Establishing a pathway for industry to implement research outcomes.
The ultimate goal of the research is to create new opportunities for wheat-based products, consumable by those with wheat digestion concerns. Additionally, the study has the potential to provide new market opportunities that could have a positive financial impact for the wheat industry growers and Minnesota.
To learn more about the progress made in the study, please review the following:
- MNIFT Silent Auction – Developments in the Wheat Industry: Tackling Wheat Digestibility (May 2021)
- Cereal Innovators: Tackling Wheat Digestibility: FODMAP and ATI Levels in a Diverse Panel of Spring Wheat Varieties (April 2021)
- Searching for Answers: FODMAP Levels Show No Relationship to Breeding (January 2021)
- 2021 Spring Wheat Variety Selection for Yield and Quality – Video (January 2021)
- 2021 Spring Wheat Variety Selection for Yield and Quality – Slides (January 2021)
- Tackling Wheat Digestibility: FODMAP Levels in Wheat Lines – Video (December 2020)
- Tackling Wheat Digestibility: FODMAP Levels in Wheat Lines – Slides (December 2020)
- Grain Biopolymer Laboratory: Cereal Technology and Chemistry Research Focus (December 2020)
- Reducing Anti-Nutrients Related to Wheat Digestibility – Webinar (July 2020)
- Reducing Anti-Nutrients Related to Wheat Digestibility – Slides (July 2020)
- Wheat Research to Address Gluten Sensitivity and Increase Demand (April 2020)
- 2019 Variety Scores and Picks (January 2020)
- AURI partners with Minnesota Wheat Research and Promotion Council on AGRI Crop Research Grant (July 2019)
- Use of Sourdough in Low FODMAP Baking (May 2019)
- MWRPC Receives MDA Grant for Game Changing Research (March 2019)
Related Research and Information
- Use of Sourdough in Low FODMAP Baking (February 2019)
- What are FODMAPs and why are they important? (October 2018)
- Sourdough Bread Research Aims to Improve Prospects for Wheat Sensitive Individuals (April 2018)